Fat Cow Hosting, or FatCow Web Hosting, is a web hosting provider that has been around for years. Their witty and creative style make them unique in the web hosting industry. However, they continue to grow because of they offer one of the best shared hosting plans available.
Hosting with Humor
FatCow, founded in 1998, offers shared web hosting for individuals and small to medium-sized businesses with a side of humor. Their basic plan is called the “Original” FatCow plan, and many of its served up with a bit of bovine humor. Here are some examples:
- The website motto is “Great Web Hosting. No Bull.”
- FatCow promises to provide “udderly fantastic” service.
- The one-click blog set-up is touted as being just “a hoof-click away”).
- They provide a “bullpen full” of website templates to use in creating your website using their drag-and-drop site builder.
- If you sign up, you are considered to have “joined the herd.”
- Their service pledge, which offers a month’s free service to customer who have an unsatisfactory experience is called the “HeiferCratic” Oath and is managed by the “Moo Crew” of investigators, who review any complaints.
- Their free scripts are lodged in a “Script Barn.”
- Instead of an “About page” on the site, they have a “Who’s that Cow?” page.
Basic FatCow Hosting Features
As of August 6, 2011, FatCow was holding a 55% off sale and offering web hosting at $44 a year (the usual price is $78 a year). FatCow lays claim to offering 100 percent wind-powered web hosting via the purchase of Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), and provides several different badges for their customers to post on their websites, proclaiming either that their site is “eco-friendly” or “hosted/powered by 100% wind energy.”
FatCow offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on their service, but this applies only to credit card payments and reviews say that it is difficult to receive a full refund when cancelling. The cause is unannounced cancellation fees and penalties. The web hosting service includes unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited domain hosting, unlimited POP mailboxes, and unlimited MySQL databases, as well as unlimited FTP users, unlimited subdomains, and unlimited domain pointing.
Also included are a free domain name and a free website builder. Other free items include plan set-up, and Script Barn, which includes WordPress blogging software, Joomla! content management system (CMS), Gallery 2, phpBB, GBook, and tools for polls, surveys, and visitor counters. Developers will find that FatCow offers CGI, PHP 4 and 5, Python, Ruby, and Perl, although they may not be so keen on the vDeck control panel, and ecommerce site developers will be happy to see Google Custom Search and Google Webmaster Tool integration.
Bonus features include:
- A $75 Google AdWords credit
- A $25 Yahoo! Search credit
- A $25 Bing Search credit
- A $50 Facebook advertising credit
- A free business listing a yp.com (Yellow Pages.com)
- A free shopsite online store (a $20/month value)
Support at FatCow is undertaken by a team that provides Live Chat and Phone support 24/7. All phone support staff is guaranteed to be in the United States. A test with Live Chat several months ago provided indications that it was being staffed by non-native speakers of English at that time. While many web hosts today offer forums, FatCow does not. And note that there aren’t that many articles in its knowledgebase and its user’s manual seems pretty minimal. But Consumer Ranking did find that it had a 99.93% uptime in the last check run.